Friday, June 15, 2007

The Jean Scene


A recent issue of The Wall Street Journal ran an article about a new fad in blue jeans. Lyric Jeans Inc., a year-old start-up, is offering something new in the jeans world: excertps of lyrics to well known songs written on the jeans in crystals. Seems you can get a $350 pair of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" (pictured.) Lyric Jeans' "The Revolution Collection" is a line featuring lyrics from 23 hits from the late 60s to early 70s, including six songs from the Beatles and Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?"

Rock bands and other musicians are starting to license such usages for merchandise, due to the low sales of CDs these days. The band/singer is likely to get anywhere from %8 to %14 of the sales of merchandise that uses their lyrics.

Hm. Sounds like a great way to pad a royalty check, don't you think? I am definitely down for gettin' into this act. I do hereby announce my new line of merchandise containing words from Christian novels. (I'm sure the publishers will go for this.) Designer name: Pros Couture. Nice double meaning on the first word, and hey, how many people can spell "prose" anyway?

My "Seatbelt Suspense" collection will include:

1. Dead of Night dramatic black jeans dotted with crystals to look like stars. And, in more crystals:

Arise and see the beauty of the deed.

Who have you lost but another shallow soul?

2. Crimson Eve dark blue jeans:

The sun spilled a bucket of blood red in her rearview mirror.

Painted around the words--splashes of red, the top rim of a sun, crystals outlining the shape of a car's rearview mirror. Back pockets pick up the red splash.


3. Amber Morn black men's T-shirt with bold gold lettering:

Any man going on this mission wasn't coming back.


4. Stain of Guilt girls' white baseball cap with dark red crystals on the bill:

Annie. Even I'M staying out of this one.


Methinks I shall make a fortune. All I need's a little seed money for this venture. I'm thinkin' I'll hit up Chip MacGregor and Steve Laube to find me some investors. They know everybody. Maybe they'll even throw in some $$ from their own fat wallets. (All agents are rich, aren't they?)

Want to add a design collection of your own? Or perhaps a single item? Be my guest. All the more to offer the Pros Couture customers.


4 comments:

Jannie Ernst said...

I'll add some T-shirts to go with the jeans - we want to be comfortable, don't we? - with the book cover on the front. Imagine a "Coral Moon" jean with a coral moon T-shirt to go with it! Wanna hire me? I'll do the packaging for ya!

C.J. Darlington said...

Well, at least it would be easy if we did 'em for Ted Dekker. All we'd have to do is buy some $2.00 black, red and white t-shirts, slap his name on 'em and sell 'em for $20.00. (Apologies, Ted.:)

Pam Halter said...

What a totally cool idea! I'll have to do something with T-shirts when my fantasy comes out.

Now, I have to get someone to publish my fantasy! HA!

Anonymous said...

Wow, my neice was ahead of her time. She took a sharpie and wrote the lyrics to a song all over her jeans a couple of years ago. Her mom wasn't terribly thrilled, but I thought it was kind of cute. Sheesh, she could have made a fortune if she'd waited it out!