Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Continue That Series!


Ah, what's a writer to do when a series ends? Here's a recent letter from a fan:

I am now reading Amber Morn, the fourth and final book in the Kanner Lake Series. I am having to take this one slowly, which is unlike me, but it is the last in a truly wonderful series. I began reading Crimson Eve at 3:00 on a Saturday afternoon and could not put it down – I had to stay up until 2:00 in the next morning to finish the book – there was just no way to put it down. At any rate, the characters in the series have become so familiar, and to think I will hear nothing of them in the future, is just, well unbearable! I’m sure you must have heard from many such people, and I am only wanting to add to what must be a barrage of requests that you continue with the Kanner Lake Series and keep those wonderful stories coming. Are you going to continue on with the Kanner Lake Blog?

Just to let you know, I have also read the Hidden Faces series as well, and I truly enjoyed them, and I must say, I certainly wouldn’t mind a continuation of those stories either.

Anyway, thank you for giving me such breathtaking reading memories…I look forward to many more. And, may the Lord continue to bless you with many more brilliant ideas.

----------------
I wrote this gal and had to say that the Kanner Lake series is done for now. (How much more havoc can I wreak in the poor town?) However, I have a philosophy. In my mind, every character I've written lives on. Chelsea Adams is still out there, no doubt having a vision or two now and then. Annie Kingston lives on, as does her bossy sister. (And yes, these two continue with their love interests.) The Kanner Lake folks? Their town will flourish without me around to shoot it up.

My first suspense series featured Chelsea Adams. Next series--Hidden Faces, with Annie Kingston. In the fourth book of that series, Web of Lies, Chelsea joins Annie in the solving of a crime. I picked up Chelsea's life a number of years since we'd last seen her in Dread Champion, with her kids aging the appropriate number of years and a change in her husband's life. Also appearing in Web of Lies was Milt Waking, a reporter in the Chelsea Adams stories. Then in Violet Dawn, first in the Kanner Lake series, one of my characters is seen reading the "true crime" book about the Web of Lies story, written by Milt.

See what I mean? All those characters--and their stories--live on.

Maybe crusty ol' Wilbur Hucks from Kanner Lake will show up in some future novel. (The link on his name leads to his blogger profile.) Maybe I'll bring Annie Kingston in for some forensic art work in some new story. My more recent readers will simply see these characters as someone new. But it's a nod to my old readers, who will understand the rich history of these characters and smile at seeing them return in a supporting role.

There's the real world. There's the Seatbelt Suspense world. Both continue to turn.

2 comments:

Southern-fried Fiction said...

That's fun to do as lon gas you don't have any dating in the book. LOL Otherwise, you'd be wtiting futuristic stuff. Now there's a thought ... seatbelt suspense in the year 2405. :D

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

I truly love the characters of Kanner Lake *snort-giggle* Sara Wray really has my heart!

And I realy enjoyed Annie Kingston and Chelsea Adams when you paired them together...Can't they work together again...ROFLOL...maybe in Kanner Lake...family vacation or something?????