Monday, September 29, 2008

Though the Olive Should Fail


Thanks to all of you who commented about Two Wars over the weekend. The names drawn for the two free copies were Winter Peck and Randy Mortenson. Winter and Randy, please email me with your street addresses, and I'll pass them on to Nate's agent.

Now for today ...

Given the near financial-meltdown-of-a-weekend we've just come through, it's not surprising that God led me to read Habakkuk yesterday morning. I'd forgotten about the beautiful prayer at the end of the book. You can replace the financially critical "olive" of that day with "banks" and so on, and you've got a prayer absolutely fit for these current troubled times. And God is still worthy to be praised, even should the worst occur.

Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the LORD,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord GOD is my strength,
And He has made my feet like hinds' feet,
And makes me walk on my high places.

--Habakkuk 3:17-19

5 comments:

Rita Gerlach said...

Thank you, Brandilyn, for sharing this beautiful prayer from Habakkuk. It blessed me tremendously. If everything crumbles and falls, God is still with us, never to forsake us.

Marjorie Vawter said...

This passage is a great reminder that no matter what happens in our world, God is faithful and we can rest in Him. As it "happens," this was the topic of the Sunday school lesson I taught yesterday, and this passage was one of those we discussed. Thanks for reinforcing the lesson, Brandilyn.

Pam Halter said...

I'm home today from a wonderful weekend with my family. My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Saturday. The whole family and 100 friends gathered to honor them. It was amazing.

I love the end of Habakkuk! I haven't read it in the longest time. Thanks for posting it, Brandilyn.

Randy Mortenson said...

Yippee! Thank you Brandilyn, Nate, and Nate's agent. I look forward to reading the book.

So that's where Hannah Hurnard got her cool title. Always wondered...

Seriously, thanks for the post, Brandilyn. Good stuff.

Lynette Sowell said...

Great thoughts! Thanks, Brandilyn. And thinking about the market, I won't be retiring for at least 25 years anyway. :) None of this surprises Him, and it reminds me how we should remember to take care of each other...