Monday, July 06, 2009

What a Fourth


Two social kids is all you need. They'll invite a bunch of friends--and you've got a hoppin' fourth of July. And of course, they forget to tell you about inviting half of them.

Our Idaho home is a great place to hang out, especially in the glorious summers. The kids (I call them kids--they ranged from 19 to thirties) took over our deck and the kitchen, eating. And eating. And then they all went out on the lake in numerous boats for Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Saturday night we went down to the water to watch the town fireworks set off from the lake in front of the Coeur d'Alene Resort. And we set off a few of our own.

We had about 27 throughout Saturday. I thought most of them were going home that night. Nope. Twenty-three decided to stay the night. I handed out all the blankets and pillows we had, and blew up air mattresses. Then Mark and I went to bed, saying, "Okay, folks, you figure it out." Sunday morning I went downstairs to find bodies everywhere. All bedrooms had already been taken. That morning every couch, arm chair, deck chair and blow-up mattress was full.

I hadn't counted on 23 for breakfast.

I pulled out all the food we had left. Eggs, sausage, fruit, bread, steaks. Stayed in the kitchen most of the morning feeding people as they staggered up. (They'd had a late night.)

In the middle of all that, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I managed to sneak in a good bit of writing as the kids went out on the lake.

By Sunday night I was very tired. But happy. Fun weekend.

We'll do it again next year, as always. And next time I'll remember to buy breakfast fixings for a couple dozen people.





Sunday morning: bodies and more bodies





Amberly's Yorkie, Bear, dressed for the occasion



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time!