Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Recent Feedback


I’ve got six weeks ahead of me with some heavy writing to finish Coral Moon. At times like this—working hard, doubting that the story is any good, etc.—reader letters can sure keep me going. Especially from those who were spiritually impacted through the stories. Here are excerpts from some recent "spiritual impact" letters and reviews:

"Web of Lies made me realize that God does care for us, and He will provide answers in His time if we trust Him to do so. He also wants to heal our past hurts."

"The spiritual aspect of Web of Lies really spoke to me. Satan is relentless in his lies. I fight the same false guilt as Annie, and I battle feelings of unworthiness. I need to get rid of Satan's influence, not listen to his lies, and live in the freedom of Christ. But part of me feels I deserve to be bogged down. More lies, I know."

"Like Annie, too many times I listen to Satan's lies about my worth in God's eyes, instead of listening to and remembering the many, many truths about how God sees me. Having gone through a major job change this year at God's leading has had me questioning my worth again. God used Web of Lies to remind me that He called me to write. And He will enable me to do the best job I possibly can."

"The revelation that God doesn't let us know everything up front rang true with me. Web of Lies made me reflect on how so many times in my own life, God hasn't revealed things to me in advance, and that's a good thing because I'm not always spiritually mature enough or brave enough to face some obstacles. I think God allows us to see things only when we're able to handle those things and when we're strong enough to let go of our own abilities and rely on His strength."

"I love how Web of Lies provides engrossing entertainment but also a real call to action of turning to God for spiritual guidance."

"I loved the spiritual aspect of Web of Lies in addition to the greatly-entertaining suspense. Brandilyn's writing makes her readers think about how important prayer is in every circumstance in life, even circumstances as scary as the characters face in this book. This book is a great illustration of the importance of praying and putting one's trust in God."

"Dead of Night had me completely enthralled. On the Christian side, I am a Christian, but not as strong as [Annie] shows she is. I did pull out my Bible again and am trying to start this new year off right and spend at least a half hour reading and meditating as Annie did."

"I have been disabled for 10 years. When I am in pain, I READ. I recently found Dead of Night at the library and was so surprised. I love who-dun-its. I read authors like Janet Evanovich, Kay Hooper, Iris Johansen, and James Patterson. The only thing I have against some authors is their bad language. Thank you for giving me the type of books I love to read and yet you keep it clean. Thank you also for encouraging all who read to pray and believe no matter what. I've seen times recently when I've had trouble praying for a few people who have hurt [people I love]. I do love the Lord and know He takes care of things in his time. Thank you for reminding me that I am only human and that God understands."


Christian fiction does change lives. Even if it's about spiders and crazy serial killers. :)

5 comments:

Deborah Raney said...

BRANDILYN SAID: Christian fiction does change lives. Even if it's about spiders and crazy serial killers. :)

I never had a doubt, Brandilyn. I just can't go there myself. ; )

Great letters. An encouragement to all of us who write--spiders or no--of the power of a great story.

Unknown said...

That's awesome, Brandilyn.

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

I'm interested in Brandilyn's response to Cara's question, because I find myself layering all the things I want to work into the ms. My brain just doesn't seem to be able to remember everywhere I want to go or all the emotion I want to bring out!

Camy Tang said...

Wow, those are fabulous. Thanks, Brandilyn.
Camy

Dineen A. Miller said...

Dead of Night was definitely an inspiration to be, Brandilyn. I can't wait to read Web of Lies. Got mine today. Thank you!