Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What in the World Was THAT All About?

In the last few days in my Bible reading I've read the book of Job. Amazing, isn't it--how many times you can read the Bible and always find something new?



Job laments all that has happened to him--and hurls the WHY questions at God. I didn't deserve this! Why did you do this to me? What's the point of living a righteous life if you're going to treat me this way?... (My paraphrase.) Then in Chapter 19, verse 23, he cries:

Oh, that my words were written! Oh that they were inscribed in a book! Of course--they were. In fact, I think this is the crux of the book of Job. The WHY of all the disaster that befell the man. Indeed, it wasn't about him at all. It was, first, to teach his three pious friends a few things. Then, through the Book of Job, to teach the millions of Christians around the world and through all generations that God is sovereign and that some of our questions--especially the difficult WHY ones--won't be answered this side of heaven.

Yet God does reply to Job. Hey, where were you when I hung the moon and flung the stars and switched on the sun? Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Who are YOU to question me and the worth of righteousness? Who are YOU to demand answers from ME...? (My paraphrase again.)


Sufficiently cowed, Job says:

I have heard of Thee by the hearing of the ear,
But now my eye sees Thee.
Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes.

Here's the thing that amazes me. God in His mercy did reply to Job. But He didn't answer Job's questions. And He so easily could have. In His long reply, God could have added--By the way, Job, your wish to have this all written down? It's gonna happen. In fact, that's the VERY reason all this happened to you.

God never said that. He withheld the reason. The reason Job so desperately wanted--because of his finite, human mind--was not nearly as important to God as reminding Job of Who He Is.

The next time I look back on some event in my life and think, "God, what in the world was THAT all about?" I will remember his reply--and lack of an answer--to Job.

5 comments:

Cara Putman said...

Oh, but how I wish He would answer some of those why questions. Job can be a comforting or a scary book depending on how I'm feeling. But it is amazing that God answered. It's just not always the answer we hope for, but He cares enough to respond to us when we cry out to Him.

Jannie Ernst said...

Brandilyn, now I know why "Forensics and Faith" comes directly after "quiet time" on my daily schedule. What a devotion this was! Thanks for your insights. Thanks for making yourself available to us. I never leave the blog without something gained. You are really an instrument in God's hands, whether you speak as an author or as His little girl.

Lynetta said...

This blessed me today, Brandilyn. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, both on your blog and through your fiction!

Rachelle said...

Yes, sometimes I feel like I hear God saying to me, "Stop worrying about my PURPOSE and just be grateful for my PRESENCE." I guess that's the crux of it.

Thanks for sharing your Job "aha" moments.

Pam Halter said...

The book of Job meant nothing to me until I found out my daughter was autistic ... and starting having seizures 9 years ago and we're STILL trying to get them under control. Now it's a great comfort to me, especially when God answers.

Yep, He's sovereign and we tend to forget that. Thanks for the reminder!